Friday, October 1, 2010

Flight and Arrival at Incheon Airport

All the secondhand knowledge from all the books in the world about South Korea couldn't have prepared me for this experience.

It was a good thing that I decided to go to Logan at least an hour early, because the line to check in luggage was long, and also, the attendant had me rearrange my stuff so that one luggage would weigh more, and I wouldn't have to pay for one extra luggage. Then there was some question as to whether I would have to buy a return ticket because of the country I am going to, but they verified that I didn't have to, and I was very relieved. Then it was time to go through security, and I had to part with Jere, mom and Annie.

I went to the right gate right away. Though I had expected to board the plane an hour later, the flight was delayed two times, so I ended up waiting two extra hours. During this time, I settled the butterflies in my stomach, drank water, ate a snack, and read a good portion of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". When it was finally time to board the plane, you can imagine my impatience.

My seat was next to two Korean American girls from Chicago to Incheon. I guess that they are going to visit members of their families who have no immigrated. It seems that they didn't know each other, because between the three of us, very few words had been exchanged. We all slept a lot, and occassionally watched the mini tv imbedded into the seats in front of ours. There was Karate Kid, Jackie Chan's version, a movie with Jennifer Aniston in it, and a lot of other not-too-memorable stuff.

The stopover at Chicago separated the gates to other American places from international places, so that I had to walk around a lot to find a whole other terminal. This includes having to take a train, and then having to eat a Starbucks pastry and waiting many hungry hours on the same bench. Starving and being very sleepy aren't a very good combination.

When I finally arrived at Incheon airport, checking in was easy because I had all the documents ready. Then baggage claim was also relatively easy, mainly because an old man decided that he will help me arrange the luggage on the cart so that they won't fall. Then I found my way outside to the next area of the airport. The next few hours will be pretty much spent waiting and anxiously hoping that there will be someone to pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment