Monday, October 25, 2010

Field Day

While the kids were really excited to be able to be outside for an entire day without having to sit and learn anything new, parents and teachers were told to arrive at the school early to help set up. My specific orders were to be there at 7:30am. Since I live less than five minutes from the building, and inside the official boundaries of the school, this isn't a problem.

When I get there, some of the 4th graders were clustered around the prizes, one of which is a bunch of fake knives that retract. Later I find out that the adults can get gift certificates to the local marts and shopping places. SoRa comes to cling to me, saying she's cold, so I mention that her hoodie is zippable, and proceed to zip it for her. Then another kid wanted to put on a jersey - he's about 7 - but he doesn't understand how to, so I tell him to raise his arms and I pull it over his head.

I've been there for five minutes when the person in charge of me for the day, Mrs. Lee, showed up. I think she thought she was going to pick me up at the apartment, but I was already there. She was relieved when she saw me. I met a few of her church members before sitting down at a tent they prepared. My duties for today were to hold the finish line and stamp the winners. I ended up just holding the line, and Mrs. Lee did the rest. I socialized with various people, where the 4th grade teacher was saying he was cold, and I said he can get a jacket, and he said he was a young man and didn't need a jacket. xD

There was a table of refreshments that included orange juice, rice cakes, grapes, and hot water to maybe mix with coffee or be by itself. There was a sort of pagoda between the school and the gym lot, so all the dignitaries and sponsors sat there. The parents got to get on the field and support their children directly, as well as participate in events. Everyone was very excited, the atmosphere was very fun and bright.

Around midday and a little bit later, Mrs. Lee the librarian and I held up the finish line for a few relay races, one that had parents and one that didn't. Then we went to the library, where Mrs. Jeong was taking care of her kids. She and Mrs. Lee are friends, so they talked and I kind of went away for a while, since I wanted to look at children's books and was very tired. The kids roamed around. Then Mrs. Lee summoned me to go with her to the science lab, where we started to set tables for lunch, starting with pouring the fish soup into the hot pots and then lighting the heaters beneath them.

Lots of kimchee were spread out over different little dishes, because there seems to be at least six types of kimchee. There was also rice, and grapes, and nuts, and cabbage, and different spices (most of which have a red and spicy tinge to them). There were six tables in total, and Mrs. Lee and I, along with the two secretaries, covered them all. We were finished for about five minutes before everyone came pouring in. The kids ate in the classrooms with their parents, so this room is mainly for the teachers and any dignitaries who may come.

I sat with the vice principal, the vice secretary, the librarian and the maintenance guy at a table to the side. Apparently, the librarian revealed that she thought I was a lesbian the first time I met her (what did I do wrong?). Then the vice principal said that he was a single man after he got a hug from a student and teacher, and I asked whether they were parent and teacher. He somehow thought that I meant whether the student was his kid. Apparently, he really like Chaplin and is quite a comedian. I found that the vice secretary is very good at English. The conversation was just ... well, weird.

The same four of us who set the meal up were going to clean up. This was time when the kids had already finished, so they had a dance to show off, which the teachers practiced for like two or three weeks. I was wiping up the counter and watching that, when I screeched because there was a centipede six inches away. The librarian and secretary came to see what's wrong, and while the first woman killed the bug, the second woman was laughing at me. She told me I had a good personality, and I took that to mean that she thought I'm cute, and I told them that I thought they are good people too.

After we were finished, we went to host the last few races, watch a few things, and then it was soon over. I was glad, because while the lunch was interesting, the rest of the day I felt kind of bored since I didn't get to participate in field day itself. It was still good to see, because my own elementary, middle and high schools never held an event like this, since there was not enough room in the city, and it was probably fairly hard to organize.

No comments:

Post a Comment